Award in Education and Training (AET) & Developing Teacher Course
The background of the qualification and course：
The course itself comprises of two key elements; The teaching award qualification (AET) and the supplementary ‘Developing Teacher’ course modules which are designed to raise the understanding and practice of all training teachers (the developing teacher element can also be offered separately to the qualification- see PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SECTION.
The teaching qualification is the Award in Education and Training, AET and is recognized internationally. It has follow-on courses that develop all the way through to the equivalent of a foundation degree, so there are further relevant pathways if needed.
The Duration of the Course:
The expected duration for the teacher training qualification aspect of the course is typically between 3-6 months, although most candidates complete within the lower end of the timescale.
The ‘Developing Teacher’ component falls within this same timescale.
Teaching and assessment methodology
Candidates will undertake the qualification via Eurus and Guide Education’s online learning platform which will host the module lectures that a candidate will be required to demonstrate proficiency in, if they are to gain the qualification.
The course comprises of video lectures. Each video lecture includes reflective questioning which candidates will need to respond to at the desired level if they are to be deemed of a high enough standard to qualify. The modules include the following areas of study:
● The roles, responsibilities and relationships of the teacher
● Understanding inclusive learning and teaching
● Teaching and learning approaches in your specialist area
● How to deliver inclusive teaching sessions which engage and motivate learners
● The use of assessment methods and the need for record keeping
● Legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
In addition to the video lectures, candidates are required to complete three written assessments which demonstrate the candidate has a firm grasp of what is required of a teacher through use of evidence from their own practice and research to support this.
Furthermore, candidates are also required to undertake a lesson observation, which should be recorded, in order to receive feedback on the progress being made.
Based upon the supporting information from schools, the online workbooks questions, assessments and observations, a decision as to whether the candidate meets the expected requirements is then made prior to any potential awarding of the AET qualification.
In parallel to the AET, candidates will be expected to the develop and reflect on their understanding of teaching theory through a series of online learning materials (delivered by a former Headteacher from an Outstanding UK school) which improves the candidate’s knowledge base of the core principles of outstanding teacher.
Behind all of the online aspects of the course and training are a team of highly experienced Guide Education staff with years of experience within the education sector. They are on-hand to support schools and candidates throughout the process to ensure that every candidate who undertakes the course has the support they need to allow them to develop into the most effective teacher possible, all these staff members will be well versed in the online training tools provided by Guide.
Awarding body and equivalency of the course
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET) is an internationally recognised initial teacher training qualification. It is an accredited qualification on the RQF framework, regulated by Ofqual in the UK.
This qualification comes with TQUK Level 3 certification. That means that it is independently accredited at a level of learning equivalent to Level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Accreditation by TQUK is a guarantee of quality. It means that this learning programme has been scrutinised and approved by an independent panel of experienced educational professionals and is quality audited by TQUK. The reason that we choose to work with this organisation is due to their international reputation and the growth they have managed in the south east Asian market in particular. Guide Education have offices in Shenzhen and are working with schools across China on teacher training initiatives.
Cost of the course
The cost of the course is 2800RMB per teacher and Guide Education are giving Eurus teachers a 5% discount.
The course benefits candidates in a number of ways:
● Firstly, it allows candidates to access first class training via the online video platform from first class educators.
● Secondly, remote coaching offers candidates the ability to gain specific feedback to pinpoint areas for improvement within their classroom practice. This method allows candidates to review and reflect upon the feedback they are given.
● Thirdly, the live mentoring support, ensures candidates can access real-time discussion opportunities, on any element of their course, at a time of their convenience.
● The online workbook allows for dynamic evidence capture which can be monitored and reviewed by any senior leader or mentor who has relevant permissions.
● The depth of the course ensures candidates have a concrete knowledge of the key principles of teaching. This increases the ability of the teacher who will in turn support the outcomes of the students. Follow up learning opportunities are also available whether bespoke to school, part of Eurus’s training offer, or through Guide or its international partners.
Scan the QR code to speak to an Eurus training advisor