Chinese English

ESL Teachers

To qualify for a working visa as an English Second Language teacher in China, you need to meet a number of criteria as set out by the Chinese visa eligibility requirements:

  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • 120-hour TEFL certificate OR two years of verifiable previous teaching experience
  • Clean criminal record
  • Hold a passport from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, UK, or USA

If you meet the criteria above, you are eligible to obtain a working visa. If you haven’t completed the TEFL certification yet but meet the other conditions, you can go ahead and start applying and interviewing with the schools, with the understanding that you will not be able to apply for visa before the certification is completed and attested.

Warning: Never accept an offer from an employer looking to bring you over on a tourist visa or a business visa in order to ‘speed up the process’ and ‘apply for your work visa later’. This is illegal. You will find yourself in a very difficult situation with no legal protection. The regulations have changed a lot in the recent years and severe consequences have been introduced for both the teachers working without the correct documentation and the schools who employ their staff illegally.

If you would like to get in touch with us directly to get advice on your application / apply for our vacancies, please create an account with us and use our 'speak to a consultant' feature in your candidate centre.